Oil additives for winter storage
- How do I prepare my summer car for storage?
- What do I need to do to prepare my daily driver for winter?
Don’t let this happen to you!
In Chicagoland, most of us put our summer toys away for 4-5 months. This is actually a fairly short period of storage and therefore does not require too much preparation. A few simple measures will ensure that your baby is ready to go in the Spring. The major enemy of any automobile’s longevity is moisture – not only due to body rust, but also corrosion to internal components. For this reason, WE DO NOT recommend starting the car for a few minutes every month. Doing so just pulls moisture out of the air as the components heat up and then cool off again. Instead, we recommend the following:
- Change the oil prior to storage. Oil absorbs moisture which is a natural byproduct of combustion. If dirty oil is left in the car, this moisture will evaporate out of the oil and condense on the engine internals which can cause corrosion. Also, dirty oil is acidic – why not store your car with nice clean oil?
- Increase your tire pressures to 40psi. This will prevent flat spots from developing in the tires where the car sits on the same portion of tire for the winter.
- Fill the gas tank with premium fuel and add a bottle of STA-BIL. A partial tank of gas leaves moist air in the unused portion of the tank which can corrode the inside of the tank. STA-BIL is a product that helps to prevent gasoline from “varnishing” or turning bad. The problem of gasoline going bad has increased with the added use of ethanol additives. On some occasions, gasoline can turn bad in just a few months. STA-BIL also helps to remove water from gasoline.
- Wash your car. Tree sap, bird deposits and pollution can degrade your paint over the winter. If you have the time and motivation (and a warm place to do it), a fresh coat of wax is great for your paint over the winter.
- Disconnect your negative battery cable. Remember to make sure you have the radio security code first if your system requires one. If you are extra motivated, removing the battery and storing it inside will help prolong its life. If you are looking for companies to provide storage space and services for your car, we recommend two: In the city: The Top Store, 301 North Hoyne, (312) 243-4499. And for those on the North Shore: 917 Winter Storage, 917 North Shore Drive, Lake Bluff, (312) 220-0051
You might also like
REV-X Distance+ Winter 16oz Diesel Fuel Additive & Cetane Boost Anti Gel
Automotive Parts and Accessories (REV-X Oil & Fuel Additives)
Zimmer Holdings Announces Live Audio Webcast and Conference Call of Third .. — CNNMoney
A news release detailing the quarterly results will be made available at 7 a.m. Eastern Time the morning of the conference call. ZIMMER, INC. ..